Monday, June 27, 2016

Pumping Mom's Milk Exclusively

Note: This is not a pro breast milk article.  I gave my babies as much formula as breast milk. It was what I had to do, and I am pro the best option for you and your baby. This article is written as a gift to new moms (my friends, family, and others).


I don't know very many women who exclusively pumped instead of breastfed. I wouldn't have known it was even an option if my friend hadn't done it with her first baby.

I hear many women say:
    Medela Pump in Style Advanced Breast Pump with On the Go Tote
  • "We used formula because my baby wouldn't breastfeed."
  • "I just couldn't stand it."
  • "I had to work so I couldn't breastfeed."
  • "My baby preferred the bottle over me."
  • "My baby self-weaned at 3 months."

I understand that breastfeeding is not always an option (it wasn't for me), so I want to share my experience and let others know that your baby can get mommy's milk even if breastfeeding isn't an option for you.   

Side Note:
Don't ask moms if their baby is breastfed or bottle fed. Well, my babies were fed breastmilk in a bottle and formula in a bottle. So how do I answer this? I usually smiled and said both.

Medela Contact Nipple Shield, MediumI didn't know I would end up exclusively pumping for both my boys, but I did. I planned to supplement with formula, but I wanted to make sure my babies got some mom's milk too. I tried breastfeeding with Baby Number 1 exclusively for the first 10 days. Big mistake. He had a hard time latching in the hospital. We had a lactation consultant help us, but it still didn't help. We urged the nurse to give him a bottle of formula, but she said to keep trying. Next nurse gave us a nipple shield to use, and finally, after 24 hrs without any nutrients, our baby got a little colostrum to drink. I used the nipple shield for the next three months. I tried breastfeeding without it, but I have flat nipples, so it made it difficult for my baby to latch. Although, using the nipple shield was messy, and sometimes I felt like more milk dripped down my shirt than into my baby's mouth. After 10 days of breastfeeding exclusively , Baby still hadn't regained birth weight and was constantly hungry. The pediatrician said we could try a bottle and he shouldn't have nipple confusion at this point. The bottle worked like magic and baby started gaining weight- finally.


I continued using the nipple shield for another 3 months, but it never got easier. At 3 months of age, I decided just to pump and give Baby my milk in a bottle.  It was a huge relief and weight off my shoulders.


Boppy Newborn Lounger, Elephant Love GrayI have heard some moms complain that pumping takes twice as much time because you have to pump and then feed baby, but I found a way to pump while I was feeding my baby. I would put baby on my lap in the Boppy and pumped both sides while he ate from the bottle. This made my milk supply equal or more than Baby's demands. We both liked being able to look at each other and I could rub his head with my free hand, which he loved. I could even hold my baby in the traditional arm rocking position or football position and pump one side at a time. Either way, I was pumping for the same amount of time as he was eating.


In order to pump long term you may want to consider these items:


Tips I'd like to share:
  • I received a tip from a midwife to make sure the breastshield attachment was large enough so that my nipples didn't rub during pumping. Maybe this is why women complain of pain from pumping.

  • Pumping does take about 2 weeks to condition your nipples, but so does breastfeeding.  Also, I just pump on the lowest setting. I find it plenty strong, and turning up the pump seems to pull to hard and hurts my nipples.



FicBox Breast Feeding Nursing Cover (Gray)
  • I have noticed that massaging the breast while pumping helps get all the milk out more effectively and prevent mastitis and clogged ducts. I know sometimes breastfeeding moms have to adjust feeding position to prevent or deal with clogged ducts. Massaging worked for me.  

I don't pump at night. I like my sleep. Some midwives will tell you that this reduces your milk production. My milk was fine. I pumped first thing in the morning and as the last task at night. The stress-free night was so worth it. I was less of a basketcase in the morning and I had much more patience for the normal baby stresses.


  • I only pumped about 5 times/day. I know many publications recommend 8 times/day in order to keep up your milk supply and to prevent drying up. I stressed about this with Baby Number 1, and worked so hard to pump 8 times/day. It was exhausting. With Baby Number 2, I am getting about 4-5 times/day and my milk is just fine. I may not have extra to freeze, but I have enough to feed my baby, and the stress is so much less.

  • Don't be afraid to take the pump with you everywhere and use it everywhere. I have used it as a passenger in vehicles, while camping, and in my vehicles in parking lots (I put up the sun shades and wear the cover up). I recommend a car adapter for your vehicles or a battery pack with lots of batteries.



Extra convenience:
  • hand-free breastpump items, such as Freemie Collection Cups
  • From Reader NT - Hands-free bustier - the Medela one for when you aren't a passenger and have to drive and pump! (100 days to and from the NICU!) Wholeheartedly agree with the get your sleep bit. Pumping in the middle of the night (once your milk is in) is totally for the birds.



Some good resources include:

#affiliate

Featured Post

Homeschool Curriculum Guides

Updated 7/6/20 Introducing a simple, flexible, stress-free, and fun curriculum guide for homeschoolers. Kid tested & parent approved....

Popular Posts